• Defining Style



    I find it interesting that over time, if you follow specific photographers work, when faced with a pile of images, you're almost able to pick out who took what.

    Every now and then after I've done a shoot, Ashton will say something like, "I didnt expect you to take (or like) that, It's not your style." - Which I find even more interesting because its neither a good, nor bad observation, just a comment, which makes me question.... What is my style and if she can, can I define it?

    It very much depends on what you're shooting I guess. I love soft natural light streaming in from every angle, when there is wind and hair and its a little messy. That's awesome. Unless its a wedding and the bride is being blown away. Thats not so awesome.

    I like crisp, bright decor shots. I like dark, moody, portrait pics. I like emotional, curious newborn pics. I like happy, in love couple pics and I want to breath in this moment and make it last forever maternity shots.

    I also like going to the same place you've always gone and seeing it completely differently.  Finding an angle that makes you go, was that there?  I love contrast. In focus. Out of focus. Blur, Sharp. Amazing.

    On Saturday due to the icy cold, a couple rescheduled their shoot. I felt like shooting, now had some free time and it just so happens that morning I'd bought the Lensbaby 2.0 which is a selective focus SLR lens = Time to play.

    If you aren't sure what I'm talking about and just here to look at photographs, it just means that lots of the photograph is out of focus - Intentionally :)

    These are the results of an hour of playing in the late afternoon sun just before sunset - arguably the best time of the day. Some taken with the Lensbaby, some with the 50mm (my other fav.) and then some with an 18-200mm. 

    I dont know if this will one day help define my style, but for right now, for this kind of shoot, I love these photographs.



     

    Connect With Me

    Thanks to Social Media, as I update this page, you can be notified by following me on Facebook, get my updates on Twitter or you can drop me a line at info@darrenbester.co.za

    Experience

    Being photographed should be fun, otherwise why do it? I do my utmost to make sure you're comfortable and the experience is enjoyable.

    About Me

    Cape Towns biggest fan, lover of photography, travel, television and good food. By good, I mean well done ;)